Physical activity enhances stamina and endurance
The more children go out to play, the more they experience enhanced heart stamina and muscular endurance, or their ability to work over a long period of time. The larger the endurance and stamina children have, the smaller the chances of them feeling tired doing other activities, or even playing or walking to and back from school or doing some chores at home. Sports activities for kids in Singapore increased the level of energy, a child can be mentally alert and enthusiastic for much longer than those who do not play and exercise.
It reduces chances of developing breast cancer
Girls who play sports and exercise habitually have decreased chances of increasing osteoporosis, breast cancer and other forms of cancer such as colon, uterine and prostate.
Sports improve flexibility
Though children are flexible by nature, exercising and playing sports help them stretch their muscles in the course of play. If their coach brings in warm-ups at the start of play and static stretches at the end of the game, it will further enhance the children’s flexibility and agility.
It increases energy levels
Children can feel more energetic by becoming more physically active. This will keep them from feeling tired earlier in the day.
It makes the lungs stronger
Consequently, more oxygen is taken into the body and an equal amount is exhaled, along with the expulsion of waste gases from the body.
It decreases blood sugar levels
By exercising regularly, sugar is prevented from accumulating in the blood by making the muscles pick up glucose from the bloodstream and use it as energy. This prevents children from developing diabetes.
It normalizes blood pressure
With exercise, stress levels that children face at school come down significantly. Once this happens, a child’s risk for heart disease reduces.
It makes children calm
Children feel calm once they have exercised as, during exercise, a natural substance in the body called beta-endorphin is released. Serotonin is also released due to exercise. It is associated with a feeling of well-being.
How much activity do kids need?
- Kids need about an hour’s exercise every day. If they enhance it, they stand to reap more health advantages.
- Kids must play at every accessible opportunity–after school, on weekends and on holidays.
- Exercise and sport need not be done all at once. It can be spread out in different forms through the day, for instance, cycling to and from school, being involved in games at school or organizing an event, playing in the evening at home or participating in an organized sport on weekends and after school.
What can parents do to help children be more physically active?
- Be a role model of physical activity to our children and let them see how much we enjoy what we do.
- Send them out to play in our backyard or in the park near our home, or swim, play cricket, soccer or basketball.
- Take out time to enjoy games as a family–nothing could be more fun.
With so many benefits of playing sports assured for children, why keep them cooped up in a flat and subject them to homework and dull activities around the house? Let them go out, play in the fresh air and build a healthy life. To read more about sports dsa in Singapore check here.